August 15, 2018
Dear LaPerche Families:
On behalf of LaPerche faculty and staff, it is my pleasure to welcome you to the 2018-2019 school year! Teachers and staff across the district have been busy this summer as they engaged in a variety of professional development opportunities and enjoyed time with their families. Check out the August newsletter for all the district news!
The first day of school for first through fifth graders is Tuesday, August 28. The first full day of school for our kindergarten students is Friday, August 31. Kindergarten students will participate in kindergarten screenings Tuesday, August 28 through Thursday, August 30. If you do not have an appointment for your kindergarten aged child, please call our school secretary, Mrs. Sandra Bazinet, at 231-6652 to schedule one.
There are many upcoming events already scheduled at LaPerche including:
- Volunteer Training--Tuesday, August 21 at 9:30--Every adult who plans to volunteer at LaPerche must complete volunteer training once during their child’s career at LaPerche. BCI’s must be completed yearly.
- New Student School Tour--Tuesday, August 21 at 10:00--no need to register, simply join us at LaPerche to see your classroom, meet the school secretary and tour the school!
- First PTA Meeting--Tuesday, September 4 at 6:30 in the LaPerche Library--Please join us and help to plan events for the 2018-2019 school year
- 5th Grade Committee Meeting--Tuesday, September 4 at 7:30 in the LaPerche Library immediately following the PTA meeting--This meeting is for all 5th grade families as we work together to plan an exciting year for our oldest students.
- Open House at LaPerche--Thursday, September 13 from 5:30-7:30. Bring your whole family to LaPerche to visit your child's classroom, meet your child's teacher and other staff members and explore the building, This is a drop in event and families are welcome to attend during any of the two hour block.
- Outdoor Fun Festival--Friday, September 21 from 1:30-3:00--This is our Celebration of Summer Work! Please visit the Summer Learning Site for all the details about what is required to attend.
- Back to School Celebration-Friday, September 21---More details to come!
- For all school events, please visit the school calendar on the school website and click on the +Google calendar in the lower right corner. This will sync the school calendar with your calendar.
I am pleased to announce some changes and new faces you will see at LaPerche Elementary during the upcoming school year. Mrs. Moretti will be teaching first grade at Old County Road School, an exciting change for her. Mrs. Ferreira will be teaching third grade at LaPerche, taking Mrs. Moretti’s role. Miss Lemoine will fill Mrs. Ferreira’s role of special education teacher. We are so excited to welcome Miss Lemoine back! Additionally, each Smithfield School will be fully supported with a full time school psychologist. Our former school psychologist, Mrs. King, will now be full time at McCabe. We are excited to share that Ms. Kovacs will be our new full time school psychologist at LaPerche.
From Ms. Kovacs:
Hello! My name is Cynthia Kovacs. I am thrilled to be joining the LaPerche community as the new School Psychologist! I attended Roger Williams University for undergraduate school and received my Bachelor of Arts in Psychology with a minor in Anthropology and Sociology. For graduate school, I attended Teachers College, Columbia University and graduated with a Master of Education in Applied Developmental Learning Psychology – School Psychology and a Master of Arts in Educational Psychology. I have worked with a wide range of age groups and have truly enjoyed every minute working in this field to help students grow and achieve success in their lives. One of my favorite parts of my job is the direct work I do with students to assist them in developing coping skills to allow them to better handle the challenges they face. In my free time, I enjoy traveling, reading, and spending time with friends and family. I cannot wait to begin working at LaPerche and look forward to making connections with the wonderful students, families and faculty there.Our school day begins at 8:50 with morning supervision beginning at 8:20. Families are welcome to drop students off starting at 8:20 for outdoor or indoor supervised play. Again this year, our mornings will begin together with a school-wide daily Morning Meeting. The meeting will be held outdoors or indoors depending on the weather. Morning Meeting will begin promptly at 8:45 and last approximately five minutes. Please make every effort to get your child to school on time for school everyday. During Morning Meeting, announcements will be made, successes celebrated, and expectations will be reviewed. We will also announce birthdays and end our meeting with the Pledge of Allegiance. It is a daily opportunity to begin the process of building a relationship as a school family. Please feel free to join us for our First Day Celebration on Tuesday, August 28 at 8:45 and at any Morning Meeting throughout the year. To ensure the safety of all, please plan to stand at the back of the cafeteria when inside or off to the side when outside so we can monitor what adults are in the area. Thank you!
In order to ensure a smooth transition home from school during the first week, we need some dismissal information from you. Please complete this First Week of School Transportation Form for each of your children. Thank you!
Other Important Links:
School Background Check Information--Every volunteer needs a BCI on file with the Smithfield Police. BCI’s need to be completed annually.
As we begin this school year together, I want to express my commitment to open and ongoing communication within our school community. I have an open door policy which begins day one. Feel free to stop in, call or email me with any concerns or suggestions you might have!
Together we will work to achieve success for each LaPerche child and his/her family. Welcome back and thank you for trusting that we always have children in mind when making decisions and that we will continue to work in partnership with you.
Find LaPerche on Facebook by searching for Raymond C. LaPerche and friending us!
Your classroom assignment for the 2018-2019 school year is: